Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Defined field

srinivasan_desingh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I create a project by copying from another project with date value in the user defined field. I dont want to copy the date field value in the user defined field into my new project. For this I am trying to do a validation.

Pre-requisite:

PRPS-ERNAM = '' AND PRPS-USR08 <> ''

Check:

PRPS- USR08 = ''

ERROR "Please remove the date from the user defined date field"

In words, During creation of project, the 'Created by" will be empty. So i am checking the 'created by' field empty and the date field not empty. If the condition is true then it will go in to validate and check whether date filed is empty.

Here always the check will be false. so it will throw error.

In simulation this works very fine but when I try in the project creation it is not working. I would appreciate if some one could throw some light.

Regards

Srinivasan Desingh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why Validation if you anyway want to make it blank ? Use Substitution and take any field as below:

Pre-Req.

PRPS-POSID not equal " "

Substitute

PRPS-USR08 equal " "

Regards

Sreenivas

srinivasan_desingh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sreenivas,

I understand that Substitution will do the job but it always blanks out the value due to automatic substitution. My requirement is

1. Project assistant will create a project by copying from the existing project. By default, system copies all the values from user defined field irrespective of authorization. project assistant will not have authorization to change the values in the user defined field.

2. Manager will have authorization for changing the values in the user defined field.

When we use substitution, the user defined field will blank out all the time when you save the project. I dont think there is authorization control based on the substitution.

therefore I went for Validation instead of substitution.

Regards

Srinivasan Desingh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not necessarily, the substitution/validation will not happen automatically if you don't check auto substitution/validation in project profile (in spro). In this case for substitution/validation to happen you need to specifically call substitution/validation from the menu.

You can still restrict who is allowed to call this substitution/validation by using authorisation group (1st step in creation of validation/substitution)

I've got no more details to add.

Regards

Sreenivas

srinivasan_desingh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sreenivas,

Since I have many many substitution and validation in the project, it is mandatory for me to run substitution / validation automatically. I cannot ask the user to do an extra step.

could you please eloborate bit more on the authorization on the validation and substitution?

Regards

Srinivasan Desingh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please try adding project profile also in Pre-requisite.

Tnx.

Abdul

srinivasan_desingh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

Already I have added project profile as pre-requisite. Still it is not working.

Regards

Srinivasan Desingh