Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data files archival and poling interval in XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I appreciate if you could help me to know the best options for the below

1. How many days is ideal to keep the archived data files in XI

2. What is the best option for file polling interval in file adapter.

Thanks and Regards.

Yerragadda.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>How many days is ideal to keep the archived data files in XI

Completely depends upon the clients requirements and the type of data,some financial data is more important and need to stay in the current system for longer period of time,other type of data like transmission reports/acknowledgments etc can be archived for a short period and then moved to some backup system for permanent storage.

>>What is the best option for file polling interval in file adapter.

The best option is to use Adapter scheduling from RWB.

If you are unable to do that(coz you are not of the SP which offers this feature)then the only option left is to give polling interval in the sender adapter or control adapter externally.

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Swarup.

A) Archived data is maintained based on the criticality and importance of that data. I also suggest put the archived data on FTP folder. We have a option in file adapter to archive the data.

A) Polling interval is always decided by ur business requirement. Sometime ur file will come daily,weekly,monthly or u need to pick the file on particular time so accordinly u will decide the polling nterval.

If u keep the polling interval less than ur file adapter will be active and which will load the server.

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

--> It depends upon the volume of data fiels archived as well as the importance of those archived data.

Instead of archiveing it on XI server, its better to maintain the archived files on some host (FTP). On sender side file adapter you can give the another path/location to maintain the archived files.

---> Polling Interval will be set when you need to pick the file and sent into XI. i,e when your scenrio is like File-XI-Idoc/RFC etc.

You may give the polling interval based on frequency of files, Either you can control the commmunication channels externally also.

While configuring a sender file adapter, a major mistake that we often do is keeping file adapter communication channel polling interval less and in test mode. It is not an error, keeping it in test mode with less polling interval but, often we forget about it, keeping the adapter channel active and it loads the server memory unnecessarily.

The link below will help you understand things better.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/03/80a74052033713e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/17/7481b6d5095b42bd804d1815201ebc/frameset.htm

Thanks

Swarup