Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

user rename

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to know the side effects of user renaming.

I had changed one user name. it was an ABAP user.

after changing the name, user faced some problems.

the system was asking access key for the same program which he was working before.

when I changed it to old name, it worked fine.

same was with the functional consultant also.

no Transport request was getting displayed through se01.

and it was giving error " user is locked etc" .

any views on this.

regards,

kavitha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are not the first person to notice this...

See => https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=15493691&messageID=5640383 for example. There are more if you use the search...

The only thing you can do is avoid it as much as possible by informing those who are authorized to rename (which is something you can control) that they should never do it. See the SAP note in the above thread for more infos, as it does not only affect Developer Keys.

As a solution to your immediate problem, I would think that you can rename the user ID back to what it was before... to reverse engineer the problem using itself

Cheers,

Julius

6 REPLIES 6

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I want to know the side effects of user renaming.

To start with, I've never heard of renaming users. You can copy accounts to simulate a rename but you cannot give the user his/her previous password.

> I had changed one user name. it was an ABAP user.

> after changing the name, user faced some problems.

How did you actually do that?

> the system was asking access key for the same program which he was working before.

I suppose the system wanted a new developer key since this is linked to the username

> when I changed it to old name, it worked fine.

That is expected behaviour, see above.

> same was with the functional consultant also.

> no Transport request was getting displayed through se01.

> and it was giving error " user is locked etc" .

I can not really see the relation to these problems without knowing the authorizations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are not the first person to notice this...

See => https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=15493691&messageID=5640383 for example. There are more if you use the search...

The only thing you can do is avoid it as much as possible by informing those who are authorized to rename (which is something you can control) that they should never do it. See the SAP note in the above thread for more infos, as it does not only affect Developer Keys.

As a solution to your immediate problem, I would think that you can rename the user ID back to what it was before... to reverse engineer the problem using itself

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

> > same was with the functional consultant also.

> > no Transport request was getting displayed through se01.

> > and it was giving error " user is locked etc" .

> I can not really see the relation to these problems without knowing the authorizations.

I suspect that the message is a "generic" one which should be interpreted as "User does not have this possibility anymore because the user context has changed"... probably because it does not exist anymore since having been renamed.

This is a nice example why it is important to consider security requirements before blue-printing a project and during implementation of a system.... for example user ID naming conventions, and which users to create and setup scenarios with, and the whole batch scheduling world (including user types and their roles...).

Trying to correct this afterwards is the most error prone and expensive option available (in my opinion)...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I was expecting an answer from you.

thank you for the information provided.

regards,

kavitha

0 Kudos

> I was expecting an answer from you.

Nobody expects the inquisition...

0 Kudos

..especially the spanish one, which is really tough....

sorry, just want to share with all, who do not know it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldlyTjXk9A