Did you mean: 

Problem in Domain Server for Cluster SAP installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP Production Landscape Information :

SAP Version: ECC 6.0

Database : Oracle 10.2.0.2

Production Server is in MSCS cluster involving two nodes.

Also, this is a domain installation and hence user SAPSID and SAPSERVICESID resides on altogether different domain Server.

Problem:

OS of u2018Windows domain serveru2019 has crashed. Hence, domain server is almost not usable.

Restart of it takes several hours. Repair of OS is tried by Microsoft without any success.

So this has resulted into communication problem between SAP Production server and Domain server. As an effect, restart of production server takes approximately an hour.

And hence I need some solution to resolve this SAP Server  Domain Server link.

Logically, following can be solution of this problem,

1. If Current SAP Production can be made as Local Installation instead of Domain installation. (Basically, creating users locally and making SAP refer that)

2. If above is not feasible then replicating domain server on new hardware and making SAP point to this new domain server.

However, I am not sure about feasibility and procedures for both of above cases.

Please let me know your views and any other solution for the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. If Current SAP Production can be made as Local Installation instead of Domain installation. (Basically, creating users locally and making SAP refer that)

yes - this works but: no cluster functionality available (no failover, clusters must be in a domain)

> 2. If above is not feasible then replicating domain server on new hardware and making SAP point to this new domain server.

Usually (that's as I know it) in an Active Directory structure there are always at least two domain controllers, one primary and one (or more) secondary. Those secondary servers can be promoted in case the primary server goes down. The secondary servers contain the same database as the primary and are used as "read only" (e. g. for logons).

During the Windows system start the OS will check which AD controller is available and answering and will use that as logon server. You can check that by logging in (as domain user) and check the environment variable %LOGONSERVER%.

You really have only ONE domain controller in your whole AD structure?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply.

Possibility of converting domain installation to local is ruled out as MSCS cluster needs domain.

As you have rightly mentioned, I do have secondary domain sever.

For More information:

1)Domain details for primary server are

Full computer name : APPL-SERVER.SHREE

domain : SHREE

as secondary server is kept shutdown, details are not available. (I can't run both server running simultaneously)

2)sqlplus "/as sysdba"

sql> select username from dba_users;

TSMSYS

OPS$SHREE\SAPSERVICEPRD

OUTLN

OPS$SHREE\PRDADM

DIP

DBSNMP

SAPPRD

SYS

SYSTEM

3) In the services, mainly users are using SHREE\PRDADM & PASSWORD.

Client have tried shutting down primary and promoting secondary domain controller. However, after that SAP service were not getting started. But on again starting primary controller,start of SAP services were successful.

As can be seen in 2nd & 3rd point above,SAP database and SAP services both refer to name "SHREE" which seems domain name and not to hostname.

So in this case, when I start secondary domain server (primary is shut down) then as SAP is referring to domain name, SAP's service should start.

However, that was not the case. SAP Services were not able to get started.

So, do we have to change anything in SAP as to make it point to secondary domain server.

Let me know your views.

Regards,

Nirav.