cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI for Ubuntu Linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I wanted to install SAP GUI on my Ubuntu Linux box. I am at present on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit edition.

If I am not wrong, SAP GUI for Java is the only option I have. I know there is a lot of installation material available, but has anybody tried doing this and can share the experience with me? Any pointers to forums/Blogs/Installation Guides that worked would be good.

I have the 2 CD Version of SAPGUI 710 from which I installed 710 for my Windows. Can I use the SAP GUI for JAVA in CD2 or should I download the Rev 5 for SAPGUI 710 that has been recently released?

TIA

Abhishek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

the JAVA Gui is currently the only option I know what you can use on Linux - if you do not want to use XEN / KVM and run Windows in it. Please keep in mind that not all of the SAPGui for Windows functions are available. SMARTFORMS does not work. For more information about the functional limitations, please check the SAP Notes.

To get it run do this:

- Download the 32 Bit Sun Java environment. My Java VM is currently from Sun Microsystems Inc. Version 1.6.0_05 for 32 BIT environments.

- Download the rev 4 of the Java GUI - rev 5 seems to have some bugs.

- set your JAVA environments correct - Ubuntu/Debian tent to point to the gij (GNU gcj))

To do this, adjust the following path and put it either in your ~/.bashrc or add it to your SAP guistart script somewhere to the first lines after the #!/bin/bash.

export PLATIN_JAVA=/opt/java/32bit/jdk1.6.0_05/bin/java

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okie... will try that, but have few queries before that.

I expect that not all the functionality of the SAPGUI for Windows would be available in Java Version, but I needed few. I am a BIW Consultant, so wanted to know if there would be ay way to edit queries (the parallel for BEx Query Designer from SAP GUI for Windows).

I don't think BEx Analyser would be available as there is no Microsoft Excel. If something similar is also there, nothing like that.

Also I would be running the 64bit version of Ubuntu Linux, should I run the 32 bit Java Environment on this, or I can't run SAP GUI on the 64bit version at all and need to use the 32 bit version of Ubuntu Linux?

TIA

Abhishek

Private_Member_101989
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

BEx components such as Web Application Designer, BEx Analyzer and BEx query Designer only support Microsoft Office on a Microsoft Windows platform.

You can use 32 bits Java Environment to install SAP GUI on Ubuntu Linux.

Regards,

Jorge Diogo

Former Member
0 Kudos

- You can keep the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

- But you need!!! the 32 bit Java from Sun also installed.

You can have several JVMs installed on your system. Install them manually into e.g. your /opt directory. You just have to make sure that SAP will pick the correct one JVM. See the posting above. Again.... 64 bit Linux is ok...

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I use Java GUI on Debian (you know what does it mean ) x86_64. I didn't find a solution how to run Java GUI on pure 64 bit installation. Installation of 32-bit JRE doesn't help me (but I have to say it was at least 1 year ago). My solution is that I've installed 2 systems on one computer: 64-bit OS with all software except those programs using Java and one partition on my HD is dedicated to pure 32-bit installation for 32-bit Java applications (Java GUI and Java plugin to firefox). I normally run 64-bit OS and when I want to use Java GUI or web pages with Java plugin required, I run it from 32-bit installation via chroot. If you need details of installation, please ask me and I'll help you.

See my ABOUT info:

SAPGUI for Java 7.10 rev 4

(Version ID 071000040400)

Tue May 20 13:21:02 MEST 2008

uw1059, 710_REL, 985050

Java VM: Sun Microsystems Inc. Version 1.5.0_14

You can see that system (chrooted) is Linuxi386, but kernel version is named '...pom64' and it really IS 64-bit system.

Well, do not install rev 5, it is really buggy