cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The request could not be submitted for background processing

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using ASP.NET 2.0 and CrystalXI to create a standalone report, which I am trying to show on my webpage using crystal report viewer.

The report is working in PULL model. It calls a Stored Procedure in the Oracle database ans shows the data. Has got few parameters. I am binding the parameters and the bind the report to the viewer. But the page shows me an error as follows:

"Error in File C:\DOCUME1\kangkang\LOCALS1\Temp\SAA_MISReportofDistributionTransformer {CA0BE8A7-533E-4D1F-A32A-ACAD93F4B54A}.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing"

I also created another report similar to this one. The only difference is that this does not have any parameter in the stored procedure. And this works fine.

I think there is an issue of loading the data, or passing on the parameters to the database.

It works fine with any other report that does not include any stored procedure.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Kangkan

http://www.entity-solutions.com/

http://www.geekays.net/

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That error comes up often when the structure of the data at runtime doesn't match the structure the report was designed with. Does your parameterized stored procedure change the data structure at runtime? If so, CR can't handle this. It has to retrieve data adhering to the same data structure each time the report is run.

What happens when you connect to that stored procedure in the designer with the same parameter values which currently cause the report to fail in the application?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same issue; .NET 2.0 Web App running on Window 2003 Server. Report works and exports in Crystal Developer. Many, many other reports working fine through this app and on this server. Seems to be bigger reports. Need a solution before the Crystal team gets taken over by the MSFT SQL Reports guys. As bad as SQL Report Server is this problem is killing the Crystal developersu2019 credibility fast. Management at my shop (big government) is in the process of reviewing the two reporting technologies....

Edited by: Tyson Smith on Oct 27, 2008 4:03 PM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Make sure you are using the latest Service Pack. As you do not mention the version of CR I can not point you to the latest SP...

2) You do not mention if this is happening on your development system, or on a test server...(?)

3) Could also be a format issue. The following is from a White paper that is under development:

a) Report is in portrait mode, but when the report is opened in the Crystal Reports designer, the fields run off the design page. Setting the page to landscape resolved the issue.

b) Adding u2018whileprintingrecordsu2019 to the beginning of all formulas may resolve the issue.. This is a reported but untested solution(!).

c) The font the report was created with, is missing. Ensure the font is installed and available.

d) One or more fields overlap a section. Simply increasing the size of the section may eliminate the issue.

4) Also from the WP: Examples of Data issues

Data issues usually relate to format differences of the data supplied to the report as opposed to what the report is expecting. For example, when using DataSets (.NET 2005), if there is a unique identifier in the dataset and more than one record exists in the dataset with the same ID, the error will be thrown. Another example; a file used in a report at design time is string type in database. For formatting reasons the field was converted to a type of number. Running the report will cause the error; u2018The request could not be submitted for background processing.u2019 It is a critical that data types as well as formats match what the report expects (what the report was created with).

See the following for more possible data issues:

[a|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_boj_erq/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do]

To troubleshoot possible data issues when using datasets, write out the dataset to an XML file:

oEmployeeDataset.WriteXml(xmlPath, XmlWriteMode.WriteSchema)

Open the report in the Crystal Reports designer and point the report at the above XML file. If the report works here, it is not a data issue. If you receive any errors, missing fields or a field mapping dialog, the dataset does not match what the report expects.

5) Again from the WP: Hardware related issues

RAM. Ensure that the minimum hardware requirements are satisfied. The issue has been reported with Crystal Reports XI r2 where the RAM was only 256 mb.

Printers. If the error is produced while printing from a web application or a windows service, ensure that the application accesses the printer by UNC
serverprinter. If the printer is on another server you will need a domain account and permissions set up as described in the Permissions section of this White Paper. It is also recommended that you always check to see if there are any updates for the printer driver being used. Also, see the following Microsoft kbase article regarding configuration of system printers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184291/en-us

Hard Drive Space. Ensure that there is enough hard drive space. Crystal Reports uses temp files extensively and on occasion this may lead to the hard drive space being used up. In particular, this may be the case with web applications that need to handle a large number of users and the report objects are not being terminated in code. Always ensure that the report objects are closed and disposed (as described below ) once your application has finished processing the report:

Private Page_Unload()

report.close()

report.dispose()

6) And finally: Other possible causes of the error

Permissions. When using web applications Crystal Reports requires at least read / write permissions on the user temp directory. Other permission issue should be investigated also. Use the utilities Filemon and Regmon to determine possible permission issues. Filemon and Regmon can be downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/regmon.mspx

Permissions. When using Windows Service. By default all Crystal Reports and Business Objects services will be started as local system, this is a built in account that has almost the same type of permission as a local Admin. This should be enough for local permissions. If the service is intended to schedule/send to a network path the service must be restarted running under a domain account and the path is the UNC path
servershare not a share path like j:share. E.G.; the service would be the server responsible for placing the file in the specified location. The account will need read/write permissions to the UNC path.

Framework. Applications created on the 1.1 framework and deployed to computers where both framework 1.1 and 2.0 exist may result in the error. Crystal Reports assemblies for framework 1.1 are not compatible with framework 2.0. However by definition, the application will load the latest framework. This may be resolved by recompiling the application with 2.0 framework, or forcing the application to load framework 1.1 as described in the following Microsoft kbase:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/65y5x3xf(vs.71).aspx

Or configuring IIS as follows:

In Start | Run, enter inetmgr. Expand: Server - Websites - Default Website. Right-click your Web Applicationu2019s Virtual Directory. Click Properties. Select the ASP.NET Tab. Click on the ASP.NET version dropdown. Select Framework 1.1.xx... Note that this will force the server to use framework 1.1 for all applications(!).

Vista Operating System. Ensure that your version of Crystal Reports supports the Vista Operating System.

Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I found the WP published on the old Diamond site:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50a6f5e8-8164-2b10-7ca4-b5089df7...

Though some of the links in the WP will not work as they point to the BO web site. Let me know if you have problems with the links and I'll see if I can find the new links on the SAP site. Meanwhile I'll go and update the WP as time permits...

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There, I am using Crystal Reports XI v2 on Windows XP in combination with Business Objects Enterprise on a Windows NT server and I had the same problem: Error in File C:\Filename.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing.

I had never seen this problem before and I have a fleet of Crystal Reports running on the Business Objects schedule perfectly ranging in complexity from simple to straight out confusing. This one report was working fine if exported to PDF however as soon as I tried to export it using CSV format then either my Crystal Reports would die or the BO scheduler would return the above error.

After searching a few forums I figured I should do some investigation of my own as this error potentially has multiple causes. I employed simple trial and error methodology. I generated the report in Crystal and saved the report file u2018with datau2019 so that when Crystal died I could open the report again and not have to rerun it (to save time). I started by u2018suppressingu2019 all the sections of the report except for the main section where all the data was contained and then tried exporting the limited report in CSV format and it worked. Thus the main section of the report was not the issue. One by one I unsuppressed each section and exported in CSV until I found the section which was causing the error.

The cause of the error was the section with all my sub-reports (one of the eight sub-reports)! So I employed the same method as above (suppressed all sub-reports, then unsuppressed each one in turn and exported CSV file to determine which sub-report was causing the error). Once I found the single sub-report that was causing the error I noticed that some of the values my sub-report was producing were NULL values and I suspected this was the cause. I removed the NULL values from the sub-report, re-imported it into the main report (linking it using the same field) and proceeded to export the file in CSV format. I then saved the Crystal Report to the BO server and triggered the schedule in CSV format and everything worked out fine. Success!

As it was all working I did not investigate further so do not know the true cause of the problem but I would advise trial and error investigation isolating different sections of the report to determine which is causing the problem, then either remove, replace or recreate this section.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kangkan,

Back ground processing error is very generic error and having many different causes, so we need to narrow down the issue.

Would like to draw the attention on some stored procedure points.

• The owner of stored procedure must be of same group as the user (through which your DSN is created).

Other possible causes of the error

Permissions. When using web applications Crystal Reports requires at least read / write permissions on the user temp directory. Other permission issue should be investigated also. Use the utilities [Filemon|http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx] and [Regmon|http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/regmon.mspx] to determine possible permission issues.

Permissions. As the Error in File C:\DOCUME1\kangkang\LOCALS1\Temp\ try to provide the read permissions to this folder (for ASPNET in case of web application).

Permissions. When using Windows Service. By default all Crystal Reports and Business Objects services will be started as local system, this is a built in account that has almost the same type of permission as a local Admin. This should be enough for local permissions. If the service is intended to schedule/send to a network path the service must be restarted running under a domain account and the path is the UNC path
server\share not a share path like j:\share. E.G.; the service would be the server responsible for placing the file in the specified location. The account will need read/write permissions to the UNC path.

Vista Operating System. Ensure that your version of Crystal Reports supports the Vista Operating System.

Need more information about Version of CR and Visual studio and operating system and is the issue is on development machine or on production machine.

Hope this help

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the helps and attention of yours.

I am suspecting one problem which has been identified for the ownership of the stored procedure. I am not using DSN and so what issue of ownership might come? Can you please put more light on it?

The report works well in the design environment. But once it is run from the web server, it fails. So I also was suspecting some security issues only. I put rights on the respective TEMP forlder also. The last thing therefore is the ownership of the stored procedure. The username (DB USER) using which I am connecting to the DB server has rights (GRANT in my Oracle DB) on the stored procedure.

Shall await your further advice.

Thanks and regards,

Kangkan

http://www.geekays.net/

Former Member
0 Kudos

The connection type shouldn't make a difference for that error - that error isn't specific to a type of connection. Whether you choose to use ODBC, OLEDB or a native Oracle connection is up to you. The connection type won't affect object ownership in the database. Whatever method you choose, the application will need the necessary credentials to log on to the database and retrieve the data.

Did you use the same database credentials from the report designer that you are using from your application? Are you able to retrieve the appropriate data into a DataSet in the application with the same database credentials? If not, the report won't be able to, either.