cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsorted unload from Informix to Oracle and R3ta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We are trying to migrate an R/3 4.7 system (kernel 640) from Informix to Oracle.

The proble we are facing is that the time for export is too long (longer than our downtime max time).

We tried to split packages and split tables, but even doing that, it takes too long.

The last chance we have is doing an unsorted unload for a couple of tables (the bigests ones for us: BSAD,BSIS and RFBLG)

Does anyone know if the are any problem doing this? (Unsorted export using R3ta from Inormix to Oracle)

I have read that cluster tables can not be exported unsorted, so I inderstand that RFBLG can not be exported unsorted, but this is acceptable for us.

We are really stuck, any help would be welcome

Thank you all.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Camilo,

>Does anyone know if the are any problem doing this? (Unsorted export using R3ta from Inormix to Oracle)

No there should be no problem.

You can unload your complete database unsorted with some restrictions (for example the cluster tables).

The sorted unload can have some nice advantages (clustering factor and so on).. but if you don't have the time and resources .. you can unload your database unsorted.

Sapnote #960280 describes the same and points to the restrictions:

>1. Most important - Use sorted export only for those tables where application logic dictates it. For more details on which tables need to be sorted during an export please refer to OSS note 954268.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that there should be no problem as well, but I can not find any note from SAP that can say for sure that I can do an unsorted unload from a Informix DB to Oracle.

The note 954268 talks about required versions of the different tools, but no mention for Informix.

Does anybody has any experience doing the same migration? If not I think I will have to open a message with sap people. ;(

Stefan, thanks for your quick response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Camilo,

if you do an unsorted export, it has nothing to do with your source database. It only has to do with your target database. If I remember correct, only MaxDB requires sorted data for fast import. You could import unsorted data into all SAP databases, but in MaxDB the import would suffer more from unsorted data than the export from sorting. If your target database is Oracle you have no restriction.

Cluster tables are a different story. Cluster tables generally has to be exported in primary key order, because subsequent database rows could be packed differently on different databases. For normal migration this is true only for releases smaller than 6.10 (SAP_BASIS). Nowadays its only mandatory for Unicode migrations because Unicode characters are usually wider than ASCII and need different packaging. If you use an up to date R3load it should be no problem to export all data unsorted, because R3load knows if a table could be exported unsorted or not (at least in release >= 7.00) and sort automatically if necessary.

May be you should look for a consultant to help you in your migration. You could write your WHR files yourself and achieve better results than with R3ta but you take the responsibility to export and import all data.

Regards

Ralph

Answers (0)