cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP Server Sizing Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a sizing query. ( Unix OS/Oracle DB). I have posted a simliar query in Netweaver Platform and got no replies and hence I am posting this here too.

I need to arrive at an initial sizing for the SAP ERP 6.0 server (FI part). I have used the quick sizer to arrive at the total SAPS of 3500.( 700 DB SAPS+2800 Application Server SAPS).

I have read from this forum and for 4GB RAM we can have 16 Dialog processes.Each Dialog Process can support 5 concurrent users( required response time is 1 minute per dialog step) and hence one application server of 1CPU/4GB RAM can support 80 users and hence 2CPU/8GB will support 160 users.

We have to support 1000 concurrent users and hence, the production landscape would be

1. 1 DB+CI server 4 CPU/10GB RAM

2. 6 Application Servers 2 CPU/8GB RAM each.

Is this sizing correct?.Pl provide your valuable comments and also could you Pl provide some indicative pricing for the above servers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest that you use your IS specific questionaire, get it filled by customer and feed to quick sizer.

Also, for production landscape, throughput based sizing is recommended. Hope you are involving hardware vendors as well [based on your Unix flavour]

regards, Sean.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mentioned that your SAPS requirement for 1000 FI users is 3500.

You are saying that below is the configuration of your choice to support 1000 concurrent FI users.

1 DB+CI server 4 CPU/10GB RAM

2. 6 Application Servers 2 CPU/8GB RAM each.

If your sizing is correct then your hardware is a lot.

You dont need so many application servers to support 1000 users .More over DB+CI is more than suffcient to provide you 3500 SAPS.

I believe either your SAPS count is wrong or you have mistyped your SAPS requirement.

the above hardware can support minimum upto 15000~20000SAPS.

Hope this help you.

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Amit,

Thanks for your inputs. The requirement is to enter 50,000,000 (customer +vendor) invoices/year.There will be 1000 users who will do this entry part. I have distributed these users to 700 low, 200 medium and 100 high activity users.

This amounts to 23674 invoice entries/hour and 94696 dialog steps/hour ( taking 4 steps for invoice posting). using the standard bench mark of 100 SAPS is = 6000 dialog steps/hour, the SAPS will come to 1578. The quick sizer suggests 2100 SAPS. i have put a buffer on top of this to arrive at 3500 SAPS.

As per the benchmarks , if i use a central system , then 4 CPU/16GB server would be required. But, for a 3 tier configuration , for a 2200 SAPS, the configuration is almost 6 Dialog servers of 4CPU/1GB each and a Database server of 4CPU/4GB. There is huge difference between central system and 3 tier landscape. Based on this benchmark, i have tried to arrive at the sizing for our landscape.

Regards

velu

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> We have to support 1000 concurrent users and hence, the production landscape would be

>

> 1. 1 DB+CI server 4 CPU/10GB RAM

> 2. 6 Application Servers 2 CPU/8GB RAM each.

>

For 1000 concurrent users, this is definitely undersized. DEFINITELY. Luckily for you, this is about the number of concurrent users I have in my system. However, please note, I'm running WIN 2K3 64bit with SQL 2008, which could mean different performance requirements. I have:

CI - 16GB RAM, X64, Two 2.3Ghz quad-core CPUs.

DB - 64GB RAM, X64, Four 2.9Ghz quad-core CPUs.

11 App Servers - 64GB RAM, X64, Four 2.9Ghz quad-core CPUs.

I average about 50 million steps (total) a month.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kevin,

Thanks for your input. The 1000 concurrent users will post 23674 invoices/hour (94696 dialog steps/hour;16 million steps/month).

My confusion is that as per the benchmarks, for a 2 tier 3500 SAPS system , the configuration is a single server of 4 CPU/16GB RAM. But for a 3 tier, alomost 7 Dialog servers (4 CPU/1GB RAM) and a databse server of 4 CPU/4 GB RAM. I don't know how a small server in a central system is able to support this scenario, while a 3 tier needs much bigger configuration and more servers.

The application servers in your configuration has total of 64 GB RAM for the 11 servers?. my understanding is that 5MB/user + 2GB offset is the RAM requirement for the application servers . This implies that total of 7 GB RAM is enough for 1000 users?. Also, what is your capcity utilzation of CPU?.

I am just trying to understand the rationale behind the server sizing.

Regards

velu

Former Member
0 Kudos

My estimataion

HP -UX

1 CPU @1.8 Ghz and 4GB provides 1300 SAPS

Solaris

1 CPU @1.8 Ghz and 4GB provides 1000 SAPS

IBM

1 CPU @1.8 Ghz and 4GB provides 1300 SAPS

Hope it help you

Thanks

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to arrive at an initial sizing for the SAP ERP 6.0 server (FI part). I have used the quick sizer to arrive at the total SAPS of 3500.( 700 DB SAPS+2800 Application Server SAPS).

This means the server for ERP should deliver 3500 SAPS in central system configuration.

According to latest [SAP SD 2tire benchmark result|http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx]

2CPU(@Xeon X5460, 3.16 Ghz) server can deliver around 10000 SAPS in ERP2005 non-Unicode.

Assuming the scalability is 100% the 1CPU@Xeon5460 can deliver 5000 SAPS.

This is higher than your required SAPS value; 3500.

So as long as your input in QuickSizer is correct the above configuration is sufficient.

You should consider the required RAM and DB size as well.

We have to support 1000 concurrent users and hence, the production landscape would be

Did you put this number in QuickSizer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Yoshimasa Kobayashi

Thanks for your input. I have plugged the 1000 users as 700-low;200-medium;100-high activity users.( My Throughput is 23674 invoice postings /hour;94696 Dialog Steps/hour).

As per the 3 tier bench marks, a minimum of 7 application servers of 4CPU/4GB RAM and 1 DB server of 4CPU/4GB RAM is required. I am just trying to understand why there is a big difference between a central system and 3 tier system though the throughput is the same?.

Regards

velu