cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change text of messages on Web Dynpro apps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How can I change the text of messages (Info, Warning, Error) displayed in a WDJ application?

Can I do it without having to use NWDS?

Is there a way to do it via portal?

I tried Portal Content Translation and Personalization, but none of them can change text of messages, only text of UI elements.

Please help.

TIA.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BT

Hey What do you mean by change of messages?Do you mean changing messages to various languages?

If it is so You can change the text messages of the WDJ application by Internationalizing the application.If you want to do it at the portal level like changing the name of the application you can do it making use of the Portal content translation.you can internationalize an WDJ application making use of NWDS in Enterprise Portal perspective.

.xlf is the file extension of the particular file that can be internationalized.It is is avilavle under your project>src>packages-->package name.

when you open your application in Enterprise portal perspective in the NWDS.Copy that particular file and paste again the file in the same package and rename with name_ISOCode.xlf.

Now double click on the new file and change the corresponding text to the new language you want to as per the ISO code.

You cant edit the default portal error messages.

Thanks & Regards,

Yusuf.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BT Ong,

yes you can modify the Predefined error messages in Ess Mss Applications, for that you need NWDI, by using NWDI create you Project in NWDS and you can Customize your own Error Messages, you need know the exact Travel Request Package.

Customization of the Predefined ESS/MSS Business Packages Can be Done using NWDI.

I hope this Information will be Helpful.

Regards,

Sharma.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

Using NWDI and NWDS would mean i need to go through the whole process of checkin, activate and release the codes after i change the text, am I right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes you need to go through the whole process of check-in, activate and release.

Regards,

Sharma.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all.

My situation is that i am trying to edit the messages of an existing ESS application: Travel Request.

I am not trying to internationalize the text, just change some of wordings of the message.

I am trying to see what would be the easiest way to change the text.

It seems like I have to load the ESS application into NWDS and change from there?

After that, I need to deploy the component to production by going through the transport via NWDI?

Seems like a lot of work to change just a few letters of text

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for comprehensive info about error n warning messsages u cn take help via this doc:[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/edf6ea90-0201-0010-7696-a68662381c12]

Regards,

Khushboo

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

what i found is Its better to change the text of messages using NWDS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

you can change the messagetexts in NWDS.

When you expand the component tree under your project you can find MessagePool.

double click on it.

There you can find MessageKey,MessageType and MessageText.

In MessageText tab you have to enter which message you want to display in the browser.

using IMessage and IWDMessageManager class you can display the messages in the browser.

If you want to change the language by changing .xlf file properties you can achieve the functionality.

hope this will solve your problem.

Regards

sowmya.

nikhil_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think only with portal settings we can change dynpro locale properties.

if you want to change languages, as siddarth said, you need to make all those messages in Message Pool and then can go for internationalization.

[sample internationalization in dynpro application|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70361a88-d6ce-2a10-b1bc-c357097a7d26]

nikhil

siddharth_jain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

If i understood your query correctly.

You can define your own error, text and Warning messages in Webdynpro in message Pool and at the type of exceptions you can throw them accordingly using IWDMessageManager Apis.

Regards,

Siddharth