cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips: performing a restore from an ONLINE backup on a different host.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Our infrastructure is:

SAP ECC 6.0

Windows 2003

Oracle 10 G

We want to test our Productive Online Backups by restoring them on a different host with similar hardware specifications (Disaster Recovery Test).

Usually we did the restore from an OFFLINE Backup:

1. Install Windows.

2. Install Oracle (Whith the same <DB_SID> of the source database).

3. Install SAP (Whith the same <SID> of the source sytem)

4. Restore Control Files / Data Files (Overwriting the old ones / manually restore).

5. Configure and change the init / start sap profiles (Changing the host name from the source system to the destination system).

6. Applying the archive redolog files.

7. Start SAP.

It is the same process when you are working from a consistent ONLINE backup?

You install SAP with the same <SID>? or you have to use a special option from the SAP Install menu?

You have to use BRRESTORE? or you can overwrite the old Datafiles / Control Files? (manually restore).

We found some usefull notes, for the general restore process:

Note 605062 - FAQ: Restore and recovery

Note 602497 - BRRECOVER - New tool for Oracle Restore and Recovery

Best Regards,

Erick ILarraza

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Erick,

> It is the same process when you are working from a consistent ONLINE backup?

Yes it is nearly the same process. The only thing you have to think about it is, that you have to apply all archive logs between BEGIN and END BACKUP to get a consistent state.

> You install SAP with the same <SID>? or you have to use a special option from the SAP Install menu?

If i have to restore on another server, i never reinstall the SAP instances (because of the needed CDs, SAP settings, etc.). I restore the needed data from a filesystem backup (in our case Tivoli Storage Manager).

> You have to use BRRESTORE? or you can overwrite the old Datafiles / Control Files? (manually restore).

I restore the database files (control files, data files, archive logs, etc.) with BRRESTORE and recover the database manually by SQLPLUS.

I also do backup / restore tests regularly to keep the knowledge and optimize the procedures

Regards

Stefan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erick,

U mean you just want to copy & past all the data file to new system or u took back up using BRTOOLS/ DB13 & want to restore it.

both option is possible to restore. tell me which one u want to use.

Regards,

Darshan...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan, Darshan

I always worked with OFFLINE backup so ideally i would like to restore the backup using copy / paste.

Stefan,

Yes it is nearly the same process. The only thing you have to think about it is, that you have to apply all archive logs between BEGIN and END BACKUP to get a consistent state.

So i have to copy the: Control Files + Data files and them applying the archive redolog? That is all? Like a restore from a OFFLINE backup? even without using BRRESTORE?

If i have to restore on another server, i never reinstall the SAP instances (because of the needed CDs, SAP settings, etc.). I restore the needed data from a filesystem backup (in our case Tivoli Storage Manager).

We use Legato Network administrator, it makes an online backup of the control files + datafiles, but i think we don't save the system state, like the windows registry, for that reason i prefer to install all from Zero, and after that to Overwrite the datafile of the new installed instance. Maybe there is a short way to do this like the one that you use.

On the other hand, you have to take care about the hostname (since you are restoring on a different host)? Usually changing the instance profile? Or BRRETORE do this for you?

I restore the database files (control files, data files, archive logs, etc.) with BRRESTORE and recover the database manually by SQLPLUS.

It is a must? I mean to used BRRESTORE when you have an ONLINE backup. I really don't know how to use it. I prefer to do the restore manually. So the IT Staff of the Legato Server put the content of the backup tape on a folder and i manually copy/paste the files.

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza