cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map Auto ID field in import manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

I need to make a quick fix to the data in our repository. A field needs to be updated based on a small formula. To do so I have syndicated the information and imported it to and SQL database where calculated the result. I exported it to a text file.

Now I need to create a map to update the field. However the only common ID is the auto ID field I have set up. I can't map the source to the destination - the map button is grayed out when I select the auto ID field.

Is it not possible to map it or is it because the auto ID field is numeric and my import is text.

BR

/Alexander

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solution was to implement the workaround as suggested

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have no problem syndicating the Auto ID but I can not use is to match records in the import manager.

I am reluctant to add even more fields to the data model since - especially calculated fields degrade performance.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

iti s correct that you can syndicate the Auto ID. This is a valid feature of the Syndicator. Anyways, the explanations given on the Import Manager regarding Auto ID are valid, too. If you do not want to add a new field as proposed, there might be some other options. You could enable key mapping to uniquely identify your records. But in regard of performance, it'd be better to add an additional field than using key mapping! If you really do not want to add an additional field, you should check your repository structure and your syndicated data. Is there any field different from the Auto ID that uniquely identifies a record? Maybe you could use a name/description/whatever? If yes, you could use this field as matching criteria in IM to update your records during the import. If no, the best solution really is adding a new field as proposed before.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

It is true that the Auto Id field cannot be imported or syndicated.But as you said you have used only the auto id field as the Primary matching fiel dand you need the Auto id information only so as to import then a workaround i would suggest

- Create a new field in your repository in console say(Auto id1)

- Make this field as calculated field

- In the calculation expression just selct the auto id field from the dropdown

- This will populate the autoid field1 with the values same as the auto id field

- And then try mapping it to this newly craeted field while importing.

- This is just a workaround i am not sure whether it will address your problem directly

Hope It Helped,

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander

is it not possible to map it or is it because the auto ID field is numeric and my import is text.

You are correct. We cannot map Auto ID field in MDM as the value for Auto ID will be a dynamically determined in MDM and cannot come from any other source. Similarly this cannot be syndicated also. A simple workaround for syndication is to create 1 more field in MDM and assign the value as Auto ID field.

Award points if useful.

regard

Ravi Kumar