cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paremeter name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Someone told me that for backup you only need to shut down the oracle database and its not necessary to stop SAP instance provided that a parameter is set in the Instance Profile.

Can anyone tell me that parameter

Regards

Ali

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

you can stop the DB without stopping the SAP. This can be usefull to keep the SAP buffers. If the DB is up again the SAP workprocesses reconnect to the DB.

See note 98051 for configuration of the SAP parameters.

Kind regards, Hinrich

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That doesn't make any sense... the system will become unusable

Why would you do that?

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've never seen a big performance loss because of having to refill the SAP buffers.

IMHO, the only reason for database reconnect mode is for a HA cluster during the switchovers.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thats right, you cannot work with the system any more. But you do a offline backup, you have a networking problem (if DB is remote) or as Olivier wrote you make a HA switch of the DB and you dont have to restart the work processes as they wait for the DB to show up again. So, no stop / start of application server or any other things to do to make the workprocess reconnect to the DB again.

I would confirm that the performance impact of keeping ABAP, table and all the other SAP buffer in memory is not very high.

Kind regards, Hinrich

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please understand the concept of online and offline backup.

You dont need to stop sap or oracle if you want to perform backup.

Yes for offline backup you have to shutdown the database and that is automatic.

The brbackup script does everything when you schedule the offline backup.

However

We never get chance to shutdown DB or SAP in production environment except during the planned downtimes.

As such all our backups in PRD environment are online backup.

Hope it help you.

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed

There is no such parameter.

It is also not recommended.

You may come accross a situation when you find that you are able to logon(only logon) to SAP (via GUI) but DB is down.

In this scenerio, dont only start DB?

Recommended: First Stop SAP Normally

Then Start DB and then start SAP.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Someone told you wrong..

SAP System will not work without the DB. So if you are doing an offline backup you better shutdown your system before the DB goes down. Theres no such parameter.

If the backup is online then theres no need to touch SAP.

Regards

Juan

PS: you haven't follow up on any of your questions, please "Read the Rules of Engagement".