cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager and Alert Management Framework (ALM)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All of the documentation that I have seen on Alert Management has a Central Alerting instance configured in the landscape. But I have seen no information on what type of system this should be. Should this be a standalone NetWeaver system dedicated to Alerting, Solution Manager or some other SAP component suxh as PI/XI?

We currently have PI/XI configured as the Central Alert instance but with developers in other SAP components (CRM, BI) wishing to use the ALM we are not sure if it would make more sense to move this to Solution Manager.

Does anyone out there have any advice they can share?

Regards,

Joe Hall

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish,

Thanks for the information. I have already seen this document and most others. What I still need answered is how most users of ALM have this set up. Do they have a dedicated ALM Central instance? Do they havthe ALM Central Instance set up on Solution Manager? What is the best practice on where to place the Central Alert instance?

Thanks and regards,

Joe Hall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best way is to set up a system which can be accessed by all other modules say, BI or XI etc....

From these systems you can maintain the central alert server as the system you have set up for alerts

System A - Central Alert Server

System B - BI

System C - XI

You can set the Central Alert Engine of Sytem B and C as Sytem A.

This is done through RFC destination.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

Yes, I understand that you can set up the different SAP components, ECC, BI, XI, etc., to all point to a central system via RFC destinations for use as the Central Alerting system. The information that I am looking for is what is the best practice. What are other companies using as the Central Alerting system? SolMan? ECC? XI? What does SAP rcommend? This information is lacking in SAP's documentation.

As such, we have decided to use Solution Manager as our Central Alerting system.

Thanks and regards,

Joe Hall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you already have Sol Manager you can go ahead with that for Alerts. I feel it is better than ECC..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Joseph,

The Alert Management system is available since SAP Web AS 6.20.

Alert Delivery Logic implemented by:

CRM ( Customer Relationship Management)

SCEM (Supply Chain Event Management)

APO (Advanced Planner and Optimizer)

CCMS (Computer Centric Monitoring System)

PLM (Product Lifecycle Management)

BW (Business Information Warehouse)

Please go through the following Alert Management Requirements:

> ALM Server u2265 Web AS6.20

> Localapplicationsystems u2265 4.6C

> Localapplicationsystems u2264 6.10 needaworkplaceplugin

Please go through the following link

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60c24b82-6da9-2a10-5a93-f1f729d8...

I hope it is helpful

Cheers,

Satish.