Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.1 Migration Planning

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

This should be an easy one.

I am planning on doing some re-arranging of our 11.5 directories in order to make the migration to 12.1 easier when the time comes. In general, I think I know what to do but I do have one specific question.

We tend to put our web project files (html, irpt) under the Illuminator directory as opposed to directly under the website root. For example, we may have a file here:

inetpub\wwwroot\Illuminator\projectName\sample.html

instead of here:

inetpub\wwwroot\projectName\sample.html

We do this to force a login. We don't want users to be able to get to pages without a login and then the applets on the page don't work because they are not logged in.

Is this going to be a problem when we use the migration tool? Will the migration tool find the files in both locations specified above?

I understand that the migration tool will look to migrate a project from locations like these:

Lighthammer\Illuminator\Templates\projectName

Lighthammer\Xacute\Transactions\projectName

inetpub\wwwroot\projectName

but what about inetpub\wwwroot\Illuminator\projectName?

Thanks,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Mike,

You will have a problem. But the fix is pretty easy. Just move the files to a Project Name folder right before the migration. You will also have to check your paths, but I doubt there will be much cleanup to do from your webpages.

Good luck,

Mike

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Is the a reason the migration tool does not account for this? Are we unique in the way we are handling this or do a lot of folks put there files under the Illuminator directory for the same reason? Is there a better way to handle forcing the login or is this the best practice?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos

Mike,

This is the first I have heard of using the Illuminator folder to force a login. But that doesn't really mean much. I was an xMII consultant for several years and generally folks that I worked with put the applications into the xMII portal to control access via roles. Or controlled access outside of xMII. Most likely it could be controlled with the security in IIS, but that is just a guess. I have forgotten most of what I used to know about IIS.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this subject...

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

We don't want users to be able to get to pages without a login and then the applets on the page don't work because they are not logged in.

To my knowledge this would happen only if you have .htm files.

So if you are accessing these pages directly as opposed to from within the xMII portal,ensuring your web pages to be irpt should take care of the login issue in 11.5, because the irpts are processed by Servlet-Exec which would always require authentication.

With this approach you can move your webpeoject under the wwwroot , thus simplifying the migration.

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

I believe this is an adequate solution for us. We can rename some .html files to .irpt files and then move them.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike,

Take a look in the C:\ServletExec AS\se-xMII\webapps\default\default-app\WEB-INF\ (or equivalent) directory for the web.xml file which controls the filtering. The web.xml.example file will show you how to have htm and html pages (not just irpt) redirect for login as necessary.

The migration tool does ignore the Illuminator web folder, so you will need to 'projectize' them.

Regards,

Jeremy

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the clarification. I would have thought that it was inappropriate for customers to change that web.xml file. Now I know that it is ok. The obvious follow up question is, if I customize the web.xml file to add the additional filter mappings will the customizations be migrated?

Thanks,

Mike

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The difference is IIS vs. java app server (ServletExec) - we do not automatically assume ownership of htm/html page extensions, allowing IIS to own them. irpt and jsp pages are routed to ServletExec. In 12.x it all moves to the java app server and all pages are subject to authorization, so your web.xml changes are essentially no longer relevant.

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

I just tried using this solution (basically renaming web.xml.example to web.xml and restarting ServletExec) and I get this error when I try to access a .html page:

Error. The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load config file illumconfig.xml

at com.lighthammer.Proxy.ProxyConfigManager.(Unknown Source)

at com.lighthammer.Proxy.ProxyConfigManager.getInstance(Unknown Source)

at com.lighthammer.Proxy.ProxyConfigManager.getWebRootPath(Unknown Source)

at com.lighthammer.Proxy.ProxyHTMLServlet.service(Unknown Source)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forwardServlet(SERequestDispatcher.java:638)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forward(SERequestDispatcher.java:236)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.internalForward(SERequestDispatcher.java:283)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:96)

at com.lighthammer.Proxy.ProxyFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SEFilterChain.doFilter(SEFilterChain.java:60)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.filterApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.java:2202)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.processApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.java:1876)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServerHostInfo.processApplRequest(ServerHostInfo.java:937)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1223)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1105)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExecService.processServletRequest(ServletExecService.java:167)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExecService.Run(ServletExecService.java:204)

at com.newatlanta.servletexec.HttpServerRequest.run(HttpServerRequest.java:511)

Ring any bells?

Thanks,

Mike

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try removing the Read-Only file attribute - this system file gets 'touched' every time the system starts.

Regards,

Jeremy

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

If the you mean the web.xml file, it is not read-only. If you mean the Illumnconfig.xml, I can't find that one. Where is it supposed to be? I see a "IllumConfig.properties" file under Lighthammer\Illuminator\Properties\Defaults.

Thanks,

Mike

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

This issue never did get resolved. Any fresh ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Answers (0)