cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are all links which are banned in SDN?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wish to know what are all links which are restricted while posting any answers.

As of now I came to know about saptechnical.com and sapmaterial.com

I totally agree with the new moderation policy imposed but to add that curious to know why providing any link is not considered a good act. As SDN is for exchanging information if someone asks a question following moderation policy and if a person who wish to answer that question doesnot know or had a little idea about the question then he/she will search.

In this way he/she will also learn.In one of the post few of the copy/paste text was removed I wish to know why it is? The material to be pasted has to be edited I totally agree on the point but redefining things would be great idea?

My post is not to violate rule but to provide my feedback what I felt. If it violates policies my apologies.

Mohinder

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

As SDN is for exchanging information if someone asks a question following moderation policy and if a person who wish to answer that question doesnot know or had a little idea about the question then he/she will search.

> Mohinder

Please tell me,

why at all do you want to answer a question where you do know nothing or only a little about? why??

if you assume that the original poster did search himself before posting a question - and that's how it usual works anywhere but at SDN - what additional value does your posting of search results add to the whole issue? what??

this is very crucial IMHO. what unique information do you add (to the universe)? if your honest answer is 'nothing' then please refrain from answering questions.

better go out study, acquire knowledge, get experience and then later come back and answer questions.

if you're already an expert in the field of the question but don't know the answer and if you are interested to find out yourself then log in to a system, try to reproduce the situation, try to solve the problem and if you succeed then proudly come back and post your findings.

But please, please, if you've got nothing to add, nothing unique to say, please refrain from answering a question.

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> >

> As SDN is for exchanging information if someone asks a question following moderation policy and if a person who wish to answer that question doesnot know or had a little idea about the question then he/she will search.

> > Mohinder

>

> Please tell me,

>

> why at all do you want to answer a question where you do know nothing or only a little about? why??

>

> anton

Actually, Anton, the spirit of this may be that the poster is saying that answering questions about which one has little knowledge is one way to acquire that knowledge. It's true in my case at least.

Having said that, providing a link farm is no way to learn.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Rob and have also learnt a lot from SDN, but the "any suggestions are appreciated" question should be answered with an honest disclaimer like "I think this will work..." or "I have not tested this but perhaps..." or "Try to... and see whether that works..." or "If I remember correctly on R/2 is was...."

=> Thats okay.

Stuff like link-farms or rapid-search&paste's without even reading the question properly (or worste case "cooking" the question) which are then followed by a "This will solve the problem and please asdf my asdf" comment is not acceptable for several reasons.

=> Which is not okay.

One of the most important reasons is that it is infectious in the community and leads to urban legends.

Which brings me to Mohinder's question:

Some sites have spread their link-infection at such a rate in the past and mutated their information (also taken from SDN and then linked back into it) to such an extent that they are classed as spamming activities.

When the forum moderators notice this in their area, we request that the sites are added to the content filters (blocked as links) as they are abusing (in both directions) the SDN content without contributing to it.

Infact, the person does not even need to be able to read or write or speak English to be able to do that.

When combined in addition with points-gaming (which is often also the case), then I personally also flame some of the content of the links sometimes because often it is incorrect.

Of course we try to minimize that here at SDN => hence helping people who try to answer in addition to the person asking the question after having searched for themselves.

Anything else can potentially be deleted by the forum area moderator as far as I am concerned.

What I can strongly recommend, is that you avoid interview type questions (or series of them) as they will most likely be deleted anyway. Additionally, if someone answers such questions using copy&paste of link-farms, then I take a look into all the recent (and sometimes not-so-recent) posts to see what the motives are for copy&pasting and chasing points instead of quality content.

I know that I have deleted some of your posts and removed content (initially, you innocently posted to a thread where points gaming was going on, but I took a look into everyone and all ID's related to it). Often people don't notice this, but moderators do.

Believe me that I am looking forward to the day when none (or very little) of that is necessary anymore.

Kind regards and thank you for opening this thread to ask!

Julius

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I highly appreciate all the replies especially of Juilius and Rob. I am a regular user of SDN, I learn a lot from SDN apart from my project. The amount of scope it generates is awesome. While posting any answers I will keep this in my mind. I would like to rest my discussion here .

Thank you all for your time.

Mohinder Singh Chauhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mohinder Singh Chauhan!

If you see posts in the forums by people who are not aware of these rules and how one can learn most from SDN and contribute to it, then please point it out to them. I will support that as well, and I am sure the other moderators will as well. Often people are sumply not aware of this for various reasons.

Also if you observe abuse of the rules, then please use the "Report Abuse" button and moderators will look into it.

Thanks again and enjoy the weekend,

Julius

PS: Anton W. had some good comments as well I think, which I also agree with. Normally, I read any post by Anton twice, because he is very smart and thinks a lot - if not all the time - and gets straight to the point without mumbling around about what he thinks is correct => which is worth gold, in my humble opinion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I got the point of both Anton and Juilius. Will certainly take the golden opinion

into account. Closing my thread here.

Thanks

Mohinder Singh Chauhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any site that links to hosts copyrighted material or material not allowed for general public consumption and does so without permission will be blocked or removed.

Copy & Paste without giving credit to the original author will also be removed.