cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding assignment of roles in SU01

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why People will add auth object in roles tab in SU01 instead of profiles tab very often? Is there any diff in that?

Edited by: mydhili talluri on Aug 14, 2008 8:04 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member1351727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

If I understand correctly....

Why we usually give role why not profiles...?

The SAP given profiles can be given directly to the users and not the generated profiles.

If you try to assign the generated profile it throughts up an error.

So we can assign only roles to the users.And we can assign the profiles provided by SAp to users .

And in roles we can include the authorization objects, or assign tcodes .

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vani,

So u mean to say that Sap profiles means which are standard Sap profiles Is it so??

Or else please explain me in depth

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Hierarchy is Roles--> Profiles --> Authorization objects --> Authorzation values

You can assign the profiles also that are provided by SAP and also created by you.

But you cannot assign the generated profiles that were gererated when you use to create a role.

When u create a role then you have to generate a profile which would be like T-<something>. You cannot assign these directly.

Pls check this

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/52/6714a9439b11d1896f0000e8322d00/content.htm

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me explain you this to satisfy you.

Initially all sap systems had only one way to authorize or secure system through profiles and system security was based on profiles only.

Down the line SAP introduced the terms Role.

Role has many options and easy to manage than profile.

When you create roles in SAP and generate it .System automatically create profiles .

Still you can create profile with help of transaction su03 and maintain the user master data .

So initially I belive before 3.1i we had only option for security was profile.

Now we have to two options roles and profile both.

Roles are easy to manage than profiles.

Hope it helps.

Amit