cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablespace Datafile

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

Some days back we got a requirement from our client that they want to divide the datafiles into small size files.They were having datafiles of 10 GB each and they want to convert them into 2 GB files.As according to them back up of large file size is slower than large number small size files.As till now my concept of Adding datafile was initially to give 1 GB space and then autoextend upto 10 GB.

Now I am thinking that am i folllowing right procedure.Which one is good Adding 2 GB datafiles in tablespace with autoextend off or am i following right procedure.

Beside it is it also possible to divide a 10 GB file to five 2 GB files as i think it is not possible as datafile also may be corrupt in this case.

Please suggest.

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

the only way to accomplish this "conversion" is a tablespace reorganisation.

Create a target tablespace with datafiles that suit your needs and move all segments from the original tablespace into it, e.g. using BRSPACE (DBMS_REDEFINITION).

The performance benefit, well, it might be there - just by having more I/O handles (aka files) open in parallel when reading/writing data from that tablespace. It might also be that the performance remains unchanged or that it gets worse.

I highly recommend to setup a smaller test case for this to make sure that you don't waste your time.

regards,

Lars