Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRConnect reports BRTools is an unknown program

conrad_thonger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Greetings,

I am having a curious problem on two of five systems. We are using Netbackup to execute our nightly backups which in turn calls BRBackup and BRArchive. As far as we can tell, the backups are working well with no problems save for one warning message which only appears on our SolMan system and our Development system.

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2008-08-12 20.19.51

BR0232I 113 of 113 files saved by backup utility

BR0230I Backup utility called successfully

BR0278I Command output of 'brconnect':

'brtools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

BR0074W BRCONNECT call failed

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2008-08-12 20.19.55

BR0317I 'Alter database end backup' successful

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2008-08-12 20.19.55

BR0340I Switching to next online redo log file for database instance DV1 ...

BR0321I Switch to next online redo log file for database instance DV1 successful

What makes this odd, is that BRTools is in the same directory as BRConnect (and all the other tools) so there should be no issue in finding it. Also, this doesn't happen on our Sandbox server which is essentially a duplicate environment from Development.

Anyone run into this problem or have any thoughts where I might start looking for a solution? I have found nothing useful on SAP Notes or on the web thus far.

Thanks in advance,

Conrad Thonger

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Conrad,

Just curious to know if you had this resolved by SAP, I have a similar situation where-in I'm using the latest patch of BR*Tools (720/40) and experience this error only in a dual stack system(Solman)

Regards

Bala

conrad_thonger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Bala,

There was never an investigation or a solution put forward by SAP.  Our environment changed and the problem disappeared with it.  I'd likely recommend opening a ticket with SAP if the problem is persisting in your system.

It likely doesn't have anything to do with the BR*Tools and more to do with some configuration on your system.  That's the only reason I can think of that our issue disappeared.  We rebuilt the machines and likely corrected the configuration at that point without meaning to.

Thanks,

Conrad

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would check the environment for the user who runs netbackup (3rd party tool) probably the path variable is not good. If the other tools are started with the full path, it does not matter the brtools is on the same directory, it will not be found.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Conrad,

We spoke to the backup tool vendor HPDP in our case, and understood that the backup parameter backup_dev_type was set as util_file instead of util_file_online, and this was changed, and no more "brconnect" warnings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Valdes,

Yes there was an issue with the backup parameter used by HPDP, backup_dev_type was changed from util_file to util_file_online, and it resolved the issue.

conrad_thonger
Explorer
0 Kudos

This question was never answered and I continue to have the problem.  Short of opening a ticket with SAP and asking someone there to look into it, I have no solution.

Conrad Thonger

former_member218171
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using windows... have you check the PATH variable? It should have an entry like this:

DRIVE:\usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64;

Hope it helps!

Cheers!

conrad_thonger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Our PATH variable is correct as this message appears in the backup log after it's completed the full backup of the database but just before the end backup.  The backup works and is good, but then BRConnect tries to do something else.

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2013-08-26 14.32.28
BR0232I 17 of 17 files saved by backup utility
BR0230I Backup utility called successfully

BR0278I Command output of 'brconnect':
'brtools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
BR0074W BRCONNECT call failed

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2013-08-26 14.32.28
BR0317I 'Alter database end backup' successful

Is there perhaps some way I could trigger a more verbose log which would give me an idea what it is that BRConnect is trying to do?  I'm pretty much at the point that I will have to open a ticket with SAP and get them to analyze this concern.

Thanks

Conrad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Conrad Thonger wrote:

Is there perhaps some way I could trigger a more verbose log which would give me an idea what it is that BRConnect is trying to do?  I'm pretty much at the point that I will have to open a ticket with SAP and get them to analyze this concern.

You can try setting the environment variable BR_TRACE to a numerical value (from 1 upwards) right before the BRBACKUP invocation (in the script that NetBackup is calling) , this should give you more insight as to what is going on

Regards

Daniele

Former Member
0 Kudos

Conrad,

I know it is a long time since you posted this, but did you resolve it ?

I have exactly the same situation running Netbackup with Windows and Oracle - some are working and some are not, so I would be very interested to know how you cured the problem.

Regards - Mike Booth.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- as which user is the backup running? maybe as root?

- what are the permissions of brconnect (ls -lisa)

Markus

conrad_thonger
Explorer
0 Kudos

As some additional information, we are running our NW07 SAP system on Windows 2003 and Oracle 10g 64-bit non-unicode.

The backups are running as SAPService<SID> (in this case SAPServiceDV1)

As to what permissions BRConnect has, as I don't come from a Unix background I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The SAPServiceDV1 account is a member of the SAP_LocalAdmin group which has full control over the file (read/write/execute)

Thanks,

Conrad Thonger

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As some additional information, we are running our NW07 SAP system on Windows 2003 and Oracle 10g 64-bit non-unicode.

Ok - that was not clear form you initial post

> The backups are running as SAPService<SID> (in this case SAPServiceDV1)

So you schedule them through DB13?

As fas as I know (I may be wrong) the Netbackup agent runs as "administrator" or as "local system" who may not have the \sapmnt\<SID>\exe in his path... (just a guess).

What you can try (temporarily) is to copy brtools.exe to c:\windows\system32 and see if the error persists.

Markus

conrad_thonger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Greetings,

So you schedule them through DB13?

No. The jobs are scheduled in NetBackup and batch files are launched which have the appropriate command information to launch BRBackup and BRArchive. The batch files contain commands to set environment variables before launching BRBackup.

set ORACLE_SID=DV1

set LOCAL=DV1

set ORACLE_HOME=E:\oracle\DV1\102_x64

set SAPARCH=G:\oracle\DV1\saparch

set SAPBACKUP=E:\oracle\DV1\sapbackup

set SAPDATA_HOME=G:\Oracle\DV1

set SAPREORG=E:\oracle\DV1\sapreorg

set BRBACKUP=G:\usr\sap\DV1\DVEBMGS00\exe\brbackup

As fas as I know (I may be wrong) the Netbackup agent runs as "administrator" or as "local system" who may not have the \sapmnt\<SID>\exe in his path... (just a guess).

What you can try (temporarily) is to copy brtools.exe to c:\windows\system32 and see if the error persists.

By default, Netbackup is installed to use the local system account. We have changed it to run using the SAPServiceDV1 account. I have confirmed that there is a Path environment variable under this user so the account should be able to call BRTools from any directory and it will find it.

I could copy BRTools to the system folder and see what happens though.

Conrad Thonger