cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCM / Livecache backups

tj_wilkinson2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello - I am not sure whether this is more relevant in the SCM group or the Livecache group, so I am posting it both - maybe I'll get multiple opinions.

We are running SCM 2007 on the iSeries and livecache (sapdb 7.7) on a virtually attached Linux partition.

I have heard two things regarding the livecache backup.

1. I do not need a point in time backup for livecache. If I have a daily (or weekly) backup that I can restore, then in case of a disaster, SCM can synchronize the livecache database with logs stored internal to SCM. This was the first knowledge we received, and planned to only take daily backups of the Livecache server with the livecache database stopped (so it's in a consistent state).

2. We heard the above is not true, and we do need to be able to roll livecache back to a point in time because SCM cannot use internal logs to synchronize livecache.

Can anyone tell me which scenario (or combination) would be correct? I appreciate any insight. Thank you.

~TJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Early versions of APO/liveCache had logging in the APO database, not livecache.

However, and thankfully, things moved on and now liveCache operates it's own logs for recovery etc.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TJ,

the story version no 1. tells is plain wrong!

liveCache needs its redo log information to recover as MaxDB needs it.

Although it is sometimes possible to fix inconsistencies between the SCM database and the liveCache e.g. after a point-in-time recovery of one of them, it's definitively not a substitute for recoverability. Most often the consistency is restored by just deleting data on one of both sides...

To learn more about how to do backup/recovery of an SCM system, check the liveCache Homepage here in SDN: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/livecache

There's a link there, "Best Practices for Solution Management: mySAP SCM" that will lead you to more information in the SAP Service Marketplace.

BTW: the easiest way concerning backup/restore is the OneDB installation of the SCM system. In that case the SCM database and the liveCache share the MaxDB instance and are backed up and restored together. By this design, both databases are always completely 'in-sync'.

best regards,

Lars