cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCM / LiveCache backup

tj_wilkinson2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello - I am not sure whether this is more relevant in the SCM group or the Livecache group, so I am posting it both - maybe I'll get multiple opinions.

We are running SCM 2007 on the iSeries and livecache (sapdb 7.7) on a virtually attached Linux partition.

I have heard two things regarding the livecache backup.

1. I do not need a point in time backup for livecache. If I have a daily (or weekly) backup that I can restore, then in case of a disaster, SCM can synchronize the livecache database with logs stored internal to SCM. This was the first knowledge we received, and planned to only take daily backups of the Livecache server with the livecache database stopped (so it's in a consistent state).

2. We heard the above is not true, and we do need to be able to roll livecache back to a point in time because SCM cannot use internal logs to synchronize livecache.

Can anyone tell me which scenario (or combination) would be correct? I appreciate any insight. Thank you.

~TJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what you meant by "SCM can synchronize the livecache database with logs stored internal to SCM".

LiveCache is ever-changing and I agree that backup will take a snapshop of different records at different points in time. Typically one would run backup at times when no users are logged on and hence you would reduce the probability of that happening.

The other important thing would be to only backup planner intervened keyfigures since there would be other key figures like sales order for example that can be restored from other sources. (ofcourse it depends whether it is SNP or DP)

For reporting purposes, you can consider configuring remote cube or doing not so frequent full backups.

THere are OSS consulting notes and help.sap.com documentation Live Cache backup that you would want to refer to.