cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel development in one web dynpro project?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to work on a web dynpro project in parallel? If it is then how can we merge the projects? I have a web dynpro project with 6 components. Can we work on different components at the same time? We are not using any source control system at this point, only manually. Would also be helpful to find any source control system that can help is this matter. I don't think NWDI would work.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's possible to work with webdynpro development in parallel.

In my experience you would like to avoid the situation when you need to merge a webdynpro application. Instead you would have a more strict discipline on checking in and updating code for all developers involved.

Webdynpro generates a lot of meta data stored in xml-files (even the java-source code is stored in xml-files).

Since NWDI (and most diff tools) don't handle xml-files, and the generation of the meta data isn't defined, you would probably get a diff from two versions even if there is no difference.

For instance, if you add 2 attributes to a context, then remove one of them and then add the it again, you could end up with two completely different meta data files, even if the context is the same with 2 attributes.

This gets even more complex when you are working with dependencies between components, and practically useless for larger project (if you aren't reading XML fluently )

For the purpose of version control, any source control system such as CSV would do fine. Webdynpro generates everything from it's meta data-files, so you would only need to version control these.

However you would miss the DC concept witch is very central in SAP Net weaver. A Software Component contains several Development Components, and is a concept for keeping track of version dependencies in a landscape.

If you don't want to use a NWDI (for some reason) you wouldn't know if you have the right versions of all dc's deployed in your whole landscape.

I recommend you to use NWDI. Dependencies between different dc's would be too complex to keep track of in the end, so as a future strategy your project team would benefit more by using NWDI.

I also recommend that you don't develop in parallel in the same file at the same time (i.e. in one Webdynpro view or webdynpro controller).

Create more independent webdynpro dc's and create dependencies between them, rather than one big webdynpro project with a lot of components in it.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

siddharth_jain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use Perforce Source Control Tool which is a third Party Tool . For This And you can share you WebDynpro Projects Even if its not a DC Project

With the Perforce Repository.

Regards,

Siddharth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I agree with lokesh kamana that it is not possible to work parallel on webdynpro projects as it uses metadata which is out of developer's control so if two people are making a change to the project then its is not possible to merge their code even if they are working on two different areas inside the webdynpro project.

If anybody disagrees then can you provide a way to merge the two webdynpro projects?

Yes I can use NWDI or perforce just to save the project in the repository for later retrieval but that is not my question.

Thank you all for your replies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible to work on a web dynpro project in parallel?

Yes,

If it is then how can we merge the projects?

You have to use dcs and make sure that NWDI is installed

I have a web dynpro project with 6 components. Can we work on different components at the same time?

Yes.

We are not using any source control system at this point, only manually. Would also be helpful to find any source control system that can help is this matter. I don't think NWDI would work.

NWDI will be the best thing when it comes to SAP related component development where multiple developers involved.

Regards

Ayyapparaj

lokesh_kamana
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Faraz,

We cant work on a web dynpro project parallely,

It is only with DCs with which you can do that by using NWDI.

While using NWDI we mainly have 2 development scenarios

1.Java projects with central source code repository

This is scenario is not intended for web dynpro but for existong java & J2EE projects it provides the complete support

2.Component Development with NWDI.

This scenario uses the component model and the entire SAP NetWeaver

Development Infrastructure including CMS, DTR, CBS, and SLD.

Components can use each other, and provide well-defined interfaces.

Thanks & Regards,

Lokesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why do u think that NWDI wont support this kind of development.....according to my understanding....you would need NWDI to do what you intend to.

Thanks,

GLM