cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI Track - Runtime Systems options

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are implementing Manager Self Service (MSS) in our company. (Webdynpro Java XSS 600)

We have Development (DEV) , Test (TST) and Production (PRD) systems in our landscape. (EP 7.0 SP 13)

We have installed and configured NWDI and created a track for the development on MSS.

In my track, I have the option of selecting upto 4 runtime systems.

I have a few questions about selecting the runtime system options in my track in our scenario:

1. Can I skip consolidation system in my track (no entry for runtime system consolidation in the Runtime Systems tab of the

Track Data page under Landscape Configurator). (OR) is it mandatory to have consolidation system defined?

2. In my track, If I use Development - DEV, Consolidation - TST, and Production - PRD are there any disadvantages with this

configuration. In this case, after the assembly of all the components in the track, the assembled components are

deployed directly on the Production Server (which I think might be a risk). Please suggest if we would have any other

problems with this configuration.

3. Can I define both Development and Consolidation systems in my track to be "DEV"- and then Test would be "TST"

and Production would be "PRD". Would there be any complications with this scenario ?

Please suggest the best practise of defining the runtime systems in a track - in our scenario.

Thanks,

Jaya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Yes you can skip Consolidation. ALL runtime systems are optional.

2. You better omit Consolidation and connect TST to the Test stage. That way you can test the exact same SCA that will go to PRD on TST.

3. Connecting the same runtime system to two stages is possible, but a very bad idea: Changes made during Development may be overwritten with older changes once you perform an import in Consolidation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would recommend that you use your test/QA system as the runtime for "test" runtime - this way you get a chance to test out the assembled applications prior to putting them into your production system.

In our landscape we have no runtime for dev, use our development portal as our Consolidation runtime. The developers have local java engines that they can test their development on and therefore not impact on the true development system (therefore avoiding disruption to testing)

We have only recently started using MSS & ESS as such we will be installing local Portals for the developers to use and keep our development model the same.

regards

marina