Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Windows Central Instance ABAP+JAVA plus UNIX ABAP dialog instances ?

Hi everybody,

we are an SAP software partner and provide SAP complementary software on UNIX and Windows platforms.

Part of our software (a gateway) needs to be installed on the SAP application server.

In order to setup a cross-platform test environment for our developers, I was thinking about extending the existing SAP ERP 6.0 Windows-based Central Instance (IDES, Oracle, usage types ABAP+JAVA) by multiple ABAP dialog instances which run on different UNIX flavours (Solaris, AIX, Linux).

I searched the SAP Notes and found nothing which could confirm my plans, as this is quite an unusual setup and heterogenous systems are usually the other way round (CI on UNIX, DI on Windows).

SAP Note 1067221 however mentions that DIs on different OS platforms are only partly supported, but it seems this is only valid for JAVA DIs?

As I need only ABAP DIs, I hope my plans are fine?

Many thanks for your feedback

> Do you also know why there are restrictions then with JAVA application servers?

> As mentioned in Note 1067221, JAVA application servers on different OS are not supported, or only to a very limited extent.

This is caused by the fact, that Java makes much more use of filesystem data than the ABAP part and for Java you must have a SMB/CIFS client on the Unix machines to access the global directory.

On top of that you have different JDKs with different parameters which makes the whole system and administrative nightmare...

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question