cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support package stacks: Do we need to import all SP in the stack?

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all.

We are about to import Support Package Stack 13 into our ERP 6.0 system. The SPS includes a lot of support packages for software components such as IS-OIL, IS-UT and other IS-* components.

These components are inactive in our system, and are not used. However, I know that the recommendation is to import the complete stack.

I am therefore having some doubts if it is wise to import the IS-* related support packages.

Please advise.

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, You need to import everything (all SPS) in order to be with consistent as per recommendation from SAP.

Thanks!

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your feedback.

However, I would like to ask if the only argument is to follow SAP recommendation? What risks are we running if we do not implement the IS component support packages?

As the IS-* components are not active, I don't see how not importing these support packages will cause "inconsistence" in the system. Also, it would reduce the total number of support packages that needs to be included.

I am generally positive to following SAP's recommendations, but in this case we are are in a situation where we need to lift the SAP system from SPS 8 to SPS 13 in one operation. That includes a massive amount of support packages, and possibly a lot more time than the timeframe we have available.

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The question is : Do you have any chance to use the IS component in the future ?

If yes import the IS SP.

If no, check on a sandbox how muc time it tkaes to import them. If it's not too long, play it safe and import them in the production system. If it's very long, You can take the chance to NOT import them.

Of course, test and retest on a sandbox and the quality system before doing anything in the production system.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

HI.

I have done some checking with consultants more experienced than me, and they said that as long as the components in question are not in use, it is not required to import the SP. SAP recommends it, but they people I talked to have not yet experienced any issues with this approach.

Regards.