cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Plan & Start Mobile Project?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends i am a novel to SAP MI, i have to run certain HR related applications on Mobile. I mean ESS application only few of them and only display applications.

Please advice how do i start, also i am very much confused whith extra information for me in the SAP NetWeaver » Mobile section. Please answer me the follwoing questions.

1. Do i need to install MI 7.1 ?

2. Do i need to create applications using eclipse (normal webdynpro for JAVA),

or do i create applications with JSP using eclipse?

3. Now if i have created an application using any of above options, how do i run it on a

Mobile?

4. i have seen some links discussing Always Connected Scenario & Ocasionally Connected Scenario? do i need to bother about this ? what scenario m i into?

5. also have read about MI CLient? do we need to install it on every mobile intended to run these applications?

My requirement is to built applications just like ESS and enable all the employees & managers to use them using there PDA or normal WAP enabled GPRS cell?

Obviously these applications would be simple UI & very light ones no complex UI's.

Is that possible ?

Dear friends please help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188598
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

Can u be more clear about ur requirement.Acc to ur qs:

1. Do i need to install MI 7.1 ?

Yes, if you need to create application from the scratch.

2. Do i need to create applications using eclipse (normal webdynpro for JAVA),

or do i create applications with JSP using eclipse?

You create your application in NWDS(Netweaver Developer Studio)- mobile perspective. This is a tool based on eclipse. If u are using MI7.0 den u can create ur application in jsp and java and if MI7.1 den in Webdynpro, whatever suits you.

3. Now if i have created an application using any of above options, how do i run it on a

Mobile?

You have to install creme which is jvm for pda and den install client and ur application and run it.

4. i have seen some links discussing Always Connected Scenario & Ocasionally Connected Scenario? do i need to bother about this ? what scenario m i into?

Mobile comes into picture for basically offline scenario wen you r not connected.You use your appl in offline mode and wen you are connected to server you sync your data. It will depend on ur requirement whether u need to work on offline or online mode i.e to be connected to server or not.

5. also have read about MI CLient? do we need to install it on every mobile intended to run these applications?

Yes, u need to install MI client to make ur application run.

6.My requirement is to built applications just like ESS and enable all the employees & managers to use them using there PDA or normal WAP enabled GPRS cell?

Obviously these applications would be simple UI & very light ones no complex UI's.

Is that possible ?

Yes u can make so...its entirely up to u to design.But make sure its not very heavy in terms of data downloaded and functionality..

Regards

Priyanka

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

try to find in SAP and download so called "xMAM Sales Kit".

It has a couple of useful documents including a project plan that can give you a better picture of mobile implementations.

If you can't find me fire me an email (address in profile) and I will forward it to you.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka & Larissa thanks for your input,

Larissa would you give me the same, you can get my address in my business card.

Priyanka i am trying to build this solution from scracth, my basic idea is to facilitate ess mss screens on mobile to the end users.

1. right now i have created a jsp application using nwds7.0.9 i also have NWDS 7.1 (but not installed as it is a trail version )do you mean that using 7.1 version will help me to create MI solutions.

i have seen only couple of tools in mobile perspective in webdynpro nwds 7.0.9 does nwds 7.1 has more tools in the mobile ? should i use that.

2. I heard somewhere that webdynpro for java is not compatible for mobile applications?

3. what about jsp applications? shal i use it or wdj?

4. i want to design the logon page for my applications. after logon the users will get the list of the aplications embedded in it? how do i create it and how can i run it on net?

5. are you sure tht without installing the MI client on the end users mobile we cannot execute these WDJ or JSP applications?

i think asking all the clients to install MI clinet on there respective cell phones whould be foolish na?

One more question?

i am trying to install NWDS 7.1 but during the setup the system gives me error saying your j2sdk is lower than 1.4.2_05 it must be minimum j2sdk 1.5.0_06

where do i get this version from?

Edited by: Jack on Aug 16, 2008 1:35 PM

former_member188598
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

1)There can be two ways of making ur application. You can use Webdynpro perspective to design ur application( Basic appraoch in MI7.1 is using WD). This saves ur time for creating JSPs as u have predefined UI element which u jst have to put together as needed. But if you also usethen u have jsp and java classes for making ur application. So choice depends on you whether you want to work with MI7.1 or 7.0.

The basic diff between them you can find here:

2) I heard somewhere that webdynpro for java is not compatible for mobile applications?

Its not like that. Only thing is not all UI elements provided by Webdynpro Java can be used in MI. Only simple UI's like drop down, label etc work on MI.

chk this:

3)what about jsp applications? shal i use it or wdj?

It depends on ur choice how comfortable are you with both and wat look n feel u want. MI doesnt support all WebDynpro UI so plz chk the same if u use it and in case of JSP please chk the javascript as smtimes its not supported on pda.

4) are you sure tht without installing the MI client on the end users mobile we cannot execute these WDJ or JSP applications?

U need to have MI client to run ur mobile appl on a pda device. u have a separate JVM for ur pda n ur appl runs on ur MI client.

5)i am trying to install NWDS 7.1 but during the setup the system gives me error saying your j2sdk is lower than 1.4.2_05 it must be minimum j2sdk 1.5.0_06

where do i get this version from?

U need j2sdk1.5 or higher to use NWDS7.1. U can get j2sdk1.5 from any java site like sun and chk installation guide for NWDS7.1.

chk this mite help:

Plz chk the NWDS MDK help to get a knowledge of MI development.

Regards

Priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey priyanka thanks a lot for being to interactive.

Will some up with more queries in future

Bull's eye 10 points thanks

Edited by: Jack on Aug 19, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers (0)