cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Backup of Producation on Disaster Recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

i want to take daily backup of Production server on DR server while i am taking backup of PRD server with NTBackup utility.

Hardware specification and system number, system ID, oracle DB 10.0.2 of both server are same.

i already have taken backup of PRD and restore it on DR server successfully.Now any one kindly tell me procedure of daily backup if it is possible.

regards,

jamil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

You can apply archive log file on daily basis that are getting generating in PRD server to DR server.

To do this you have to only mount the Database(Not to open the database) in DR server & keep on applying the Archive log files.

regards

Virendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Virendra,

I am getting error during recover database. when i copy of all Oraarch file of PRD into DR server and want to run below steps in SQL,

SQL> Startup

status is mounted.

SQL>recover database using backup controlfile;

then i got error on one file and receive ORA-00334 Error(data file currepted).

i do it number of time but receiving same error.

how may i correct it.

regards,

jamil,

0 Kudos

hi,

Please check the control file are correct or not.. you may copy it from your current production server. Also you have to take care about the file location.

You will able to see the details error in the Alert_SID.log file.

regards

Virendra

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the database was already opened it's no more possible to apply redo logs.

You have to make sure you don't open the database after the copy.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Dohr,

i copied the Oraarch file and past it in DR. i also created control file and it is ok then i do following below steps:

sql> startup

database mounted

sql> recover database using backup controlfiles;

auto

then i received ORA-00334 error. after then i copy that file from PRD and paste it again in DR, but stil same error.

regards,

jamil

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My name is Markus

If you give the database a "startup" only, it will try to open the database. you must not do that when setting up a DR site.

Check

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/recov002.htm#i1037358

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Virendra,

i hope my control file is correct because i got error during the recover of one oraarch file.

error : ORA-00334 --> oraarch file currepted

i have copied it three time from PRD to DR server after delete from DR but problem still same,

regards,

jamil

0 Kudos

Hi,

In error message does it shows DATA file corrupted or ARCHIVE log Corrupted ?

secondly you can try it by takeing an online or offline backup again & restore it in DR & then try to apply the archivelog file again.

If the specific file is corrupted then it will not show again & restoring the backup.

Regards

Virendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus, Virendar and all Gurus..

I really appreciate your replies...

I have tried it one more time , and this time i m sending you the error as well so that you can have a better understanding of where i m doing it wrong..

[[SQL> startup mount

ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down first

SQL> select status from V$instance;

STATUS

-

MOUNTED

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile;

ORA-00279: change 16266303 generated at 08/14/2008 21:45:12 needed for thread 1

ORA-00289: suggestion : F:\ORACLE\PRD\ORAARCH\PRDARCHARC01772_0657865393.001

ORA-00280: change 16266303 for thread 1 is in sequence #1772

Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

auto

ORA-00328: archived log ends at change 16195568, need later change 16266303

ORA-00334: archived log: 'F:\ORACLE\PRD\ORAARCH\PRDARCHARC01772_0657865393.001'

SQL>]]

Please advise the next line of action.. And I just want to confirm one more thing , since we restored the backup from PRD to DR server , this is the first time we have accessed it through SQL..except I have logged in to DR and updated the License info.. Would that affect the status of our recovery in any way..Can we still recover it from here onwards or we will have to do it all over again..

I really appreciate all ur help.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> And I just want to confirm one more thing , since we restored the backup from PRD to DR server , this is the first time we have accessed it through SQL..except I have logged in to DR and updated the License info.. Would that affect the status of our recovery in any way..Can we still recover it from here onwards or we will have to do it all over again..

Once the database is opened (not just mounted but opened) you're no more able to apply redo logs. If the SAP system was started with an opened database you won't be able to recover further archivelogs.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus ,

I m really greatful for all ur concern and support. The reply was very helpful but i m lacking knowledge of Oracle so what i need to make sure from u is that, when u say Database Open , Mounted and No mounted could u pls breifly explain these terms..Just to let u know , after the Restore we changed the Oracle Services to Auto Start, and then we restarted the OS, so pls confirm when oracle starts automatically with OS , then what the status of Oracle at that time , is it mounted or open...b/c that was the only thing we did in sql..and then i applied the license in Slicense (tx) in sap..

Please confirm if we can go any further from here or do we have to do it all over again..

Much appreciate all the help (much needed)

Thanks alot..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand your problem...

> I m really greatful for all ur concern and support. The reply was very helpful but i m lacking knowledge of Oracle so what i need to make sure from u is that, when u say Database Open , Mounted and No mounted could u pls breifly explain these terms..

Setting up a DR site without knowing what you do is...hmm.. dangerous. It's a bit too much to explain here the concepts of Oracle so I suggest you read

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/startup.htm#sthref1880

and

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/startup.htm#sthref1870

> Just to let u know , after the Restore we changed the Oracle Services to Auto Start, and then we restarted the OS, so pls confirm when oracle starts automatically with OS , then what the status of Oracle at that time , is it mounted or open...b/c that was the only thing we did in sql..and then i applied the license in Slicense (tx) in sap..

If you can connect to the database using an external tool (such as saplicense) then yes, the database is opened and you won't be able to recover any more redo logs from the other instance.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I have read ur response , very much informative and helpful...and really appreciate it..I have also looked at that document links u sent..

from that doc ::

You must mount it in standby mode using the ALTER DATABASE statement and apply the archived redo logs that your primary database generates.

So th at must be the reason , that our Database at the DR server created 3 new oracle archives...and we cant go any further from here...

Important: So now when we restore it. are these the right steps:

Source System

1.copy all the datafiles from the PRD server

2.Create the *Control file with the help of "Alter database backup controlfile to trace" * Make changes in the file..(by the what do we call this file??

Target System

3.Overwrite the datafiles from PRD.

4.sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

5.Startup Mount

6.@ path and file eg@ C:\abc.txt

7. Recover database using backup controlfile;

8. Auto

and then every time we have new files, we just upload it .using Step # 7.

I would really appreciate if you pls confirm , if my steps are right.

and lastly, let me ask u something , if we overwrite all the datafiles on DR from PRD now , can we go from there...or we have to install the whole DR system again.

Thanks

Adnan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So th at must be the reason , that our Database at the DR server created 3 new oracle archives...and we cant go any further from here...

yes - exactly!

> Important: So now when we restore it. are these the right steps:

> Source System

> 1.copy all the datafiles from the PRD server

> 2.Create the *Control file with the help of "Alter database backup controlfile to trace" * Make changes in the file..(by the what do we call this file??

the name of the file doesn't matter

> Target System

> 3.Overwrite the datafiles from PRD.

> 4.sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

> 5.Startup Mount

> 6.@ path and file eg@ C:\abc.txt

> 7. Recover database using backup controlfile;

> 8. Auto

>

> and then every time we have new files, we just upload it .using Step # 7.

>

> I would really appreciate if you pls confirm , if my steps are right.

yes - they are.

> and lastly, let me ask u something , if we overwrite all the datafiles on DR from PRD now , can we go from there...or we have to install the whole DR system again.

Yes - you can - as long as you don't copy the files of the running database. If you want to do that, you have to set the tablespace to backup, copy them and release them.

ِAnd for the license: I would import the license for the DR server in the source system (your production) so it will be there when the database is started.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

we are very thankful for your very informatics replies,

plz tell, how can i set the tablespace to backup,

regards,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suggest you start with an offline backup, doing those things manually is not that "easy" if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Another possibility would be to use the database copy functionality of the brtools (see note 1003028 - Enhanced support for system copy in BR*Tools).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus ,

I m really thankful for all ur help...as i have restored the datafiles and now starting the DB with mount option , now its recovering (uploading) the ora archive files...(thanks to ur help).. the question here is , i havent logged on to SAP as of yet..so please confirm me , when i have to install the License which u mentioned importing from PRD (dont know how that will be done)..but know how to do it locally...so what should be the next step...

Once this uploading on oraarchives is finished, do i leave the DB as it is in Mount mode, and just copy the new archives from PRD may be tomorrow and run the same command , Recover database using backup controlfile;

and secondly, just to let u know , when i started this uploading of oraarchives , it previously had till XXX1769 and when i copied from here till the latest,, it started to upload from XXX1787, will that affect anything..

Thanks alot in advance... and really appreciate all u are doing..as we are almost getting there..

Cheers..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I m really thankful for all ur help...as i have restored the datafiles and now starting the DB with mount option , now its recovering (uploading) the ora archive files...(thanks to ur help).. the question here is , i havent logged on to SAP as of yet..

do not start the SAP system. It will open the database and so you need to start over again. I would have installed the license for the DR system on the PRD system before the copy. The only chance you have now is to install the license when the system will be actually started in case your PRD goes down.

> and secondly, just to let u know , when i started this uploading of oraarchives , it previously had till XXX1769 and when i copied from here till the latest,, it started to upload from XXX1787, will that affect anything..

This is due to the fact, that your system was copied later and the changes between 1787 and 1786 are already in the system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus ,

Well we are quiet lucky that we have someone who is guiding us so well...we have recovered it ,, and luckily till now we had not login to the system..So as u mentioned as soon as i login to the sap system , it will make the DB open and we wont be able to call it a DR..(Standby)..Juts one question infact 2:

U said that we could have done the License in PRD please explain a bit How? u mean i should have installed it with Slicense in PRD or soemting else..

Secondly , now as we dont have License , So Temp license witll expire in 30 days...then how can we apply the Original licence to DR (which i already have received.)

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Secondly , now as we dont have License , So Temp license witll expire in 30 days...then how can we apply the Original licence to DR (which i already have received.)

Just import it into production using SLICENSE. It will be listed with a red bubble because it won´t match the actual system but it won´t affect the production. So in fact you will have two licenses in the system, one for the original PRD system and one for the DR system. However, since you copied already over to DR that license won´t be there. That´s why I recommended to import the license BEFORE you do the copy.

The system will check if there´s a license with the correct key and use this one.

Since you copied already the only chance to resurrect the DR system in case of a failover is

- set the instance parameter login/no_automatic_user_sapstar=0

- login to client 000 with SAP*

- import the license

but to NOT do this now but only when the DR system will be started.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus ,

I have already tried to upload another archive that was generated and it uploaded fine..Thanks..

There are still few mysteries going on in my brain....

1) If we have to start the DR after a 30 days Temp License period , would we still be able to do it.

2) When we say that , we have copied all the data files from PRD , does that contain all User (passwords), Instance Profiles, Roles and their Profiles etc..

3) Now considering the Scenario , we have started the DR b/c PRD is down , now DR is our Main Server, do we make the original PRD once its been restored our DR (doing the same procedure that we are going thru now )

4) Last very important thing, say we have lots of new archives generating daily in PRD , is there a way that these can be automatically uploaded into our DR through VPN connection or anything like that..

I really appreciate all ur help ..

Blessings..

Cheers..

Ad

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) If we have to start the DR after a 30 days Temp License period , would we still be able to do it.

read my above post - I just answered that question there. You will be able to start the instance but you won´t be able to logon before you didn´t install the license.

2) When we say that , we have copied all the data files from PRD , does that contain all User (passwords), Instance Profiles, Roles and their Profiles etc..

yes - sure.

3) Now considering the Scenario , we have started the DR b/c PRD is down , now DR is our Main Server, do we make the original PRD once its been restored our DR (doing the same procedure that we are going thru now )

yes - exactly.

4) Last very important thing, say we have lots of new archives generating daily in PRD , is there a way that these can be automatically uploaded into our DR through VPN connection or anything like that..

You can write a script for that (using scp/sftp or rcp/ftp).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Markus,

Thanks for ur reply..all my queries have been cleared...

You can write a script for that (using scp/sftp or rcp/ftp)

Please briefly tell us abt these scripts or send a link,

Thanks alot,,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your Unix administrators should be able to do that if you can´t do it on your own.

You can start with just putting all the commands that you execute to manually copy the files into a script...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a disaster recovery server, with the difference that we are using Oracle StandBy (Windows 2003 + Oracle 10G + ECC 6.0).

The main differences:

In the source system you have to create the control file in the following form:

SQL>

SQL> connect / as sysdba;

SQL> ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS 'directory';

after the backup / restore process from an OFFLINE backup, and after you fixed the problems with the host name (PRD name ¬= DR name) you mount the database in the following way:

SQL> connect / as sysdba;

SQL> startup nomount;

SQL> alter database mount standby database;

And them to apply the archive redolog we use the following statment:

SQL> recover standby database until cancel;

SQL> auto

As Markus say you don't have to OPEN the database, in our case it have to be in STANDBY mode waiting for a Disaster!

What happens if there is a Disaster in PRD?

You have to put your Disaster Recovery System Database Online

SQL> ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE;

From this moment, your database is OPEN there is not return...

Usually it is recommended to do this process the first time to "test" your OFFLINE backup, that mean OPEN the database and check the data in the system, them the second time you have to restore again your backup (that you know is consistent because you test it) and leave your database in Standby mode applying the archive redolog files, while you are "waiting" for a disaster.

-

-

-

-

Now assuming that your database is mounted in Standby mode (waiting for a disaster..) you need a method to copy the archive redolog files from your PRD system to your DR (disaster recovery) system.

We configured a SAP Job using a external program (brarchive) to copy the archive redolog files:

In the Job definition:

External Program:

Name: brarchive.exe

Parameter: -u / -s -d stage -c -n 10

Target Host: REMOTE_HOST (DNS name of your remote host)

Aditionaly you should edit your the initsaparch

#remote host name

remote_host=REMOTE_HOST

#remote user name

remote_user = "user password"

#stage copy command rcp ftp

stage_copy_cmd = ftp

Underground... brarchive use sapftp so you need to enable this service on the remote host.

More information on:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw30b/helpdata/en/b5/81d6a21bc211d2b42c00609419997a/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw30b/helpdata/en/0d/d3115e4a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I m really thankful to Markus and Erick for helping me out..The reason for belated reply, SDN wasnt showing me any new post and wasnt refreshing at my end..I have just seen it today...As Erick mentioned , we should try it once just for testing as we havent do so ..I will go through the links u have sent and will get back to u guys soon.

Thanks for ur help..

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus ,

Our system is Windows 2003 x 64 R2..and Oracle 10.0.2.0

If u could please put some more light into what u have told us.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Our system is Windows 2003 x 64 R2..and Oracle 10.0.2.0

> If u could please put some more light into what u have told us.

I'm not sure what you ask me about...

Markus