cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade glibc for upgrade to SOLMAN 7.0???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am looking at the following references:

http://wiki.colar.net/isa2004s_

AND

https:websmp201.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012006153200000442092005E/saplocalessles9_x86_64_version-7.zip_

When typing zypper info glibc I get the following:

Information on glibc:

Repository:

Name: glibc

Version: 2.6.1-18

Arch: x86_64

Installed: Yes

Installed Size: 4.3M

Summary: Standard Shared libraries (from the GNU C Library)

When I type rpm -Uvh saplocales-2.4-1.x86_64.rpm, I get

error: failed dependencies:

/lib64/ld-2.4.so is needed by saplocales-2.4.1.x86_64

What does this mean? Do I have to downgrade my glibc in order to get the saplocales to install?

Basically, I saw the following in one of the links above:

Sap locales (same note #171356):

From the note download the attachment

It is saved on /mnt/sapcd/sap_suse_addons

unzip it

install the extracted rpm:

rpm -ivh saplocales-xxx.rpm

WARNING this need to be reinstalled every time the kernel or glibc are modified (upgrade) !!!

BUT ...

saplocales seems to cough when trying to use a glibc > 2.4.

Is there any way around this problem?

TIA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Looks to me like you are using the incorrect version, possibly for SLES 10. Try https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/012006153200000627262007E/saplocales_sles9_x8664_version-10.zip

Edit:

Even the latest patch on glibc for SLES 9 is still using glibc 2.3 for SLES 10 it's 2.4 If you are using higher then it's not an official package and you have upgraded it yourself ? You will have to use the source locales then and from what I can see the highest is 2.5 so you may just need to downgrade.

I'm guessing this is not even SLES but OpenSuse perhaps ? ...which of course is not supported.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello and thanks for the response

Above you said "you may have to downgrade" keyword: "may"

It took a while to get the glibc 2.6 set up I would think that glibc 2.6 would be better to use than glibc 2.4.

TIA

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The officially supported distributions (SLES 9, SLES 10 with their service packs) don´t need any manual fiddling with glibc. The kernel is built on those distributions so they should work "out of the box". If they don´t then there´s certainly something wrong with your distribution or you´re using an unsupported one which can lead to problems later.

Btw: saplocales is only necessary if you install a non-unicode system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

Found following for a downgrade to glibc 2.4:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3284359/com/glibc-2.4-31.1.x86_64.rpm.html

It looks as though there are a lot of dependencies present. Something to consider.

Everything has been working thus far (bringing up the installation screens and everything). Just ran into a problem with the installation of saplocales - and - it seems to be because it is picky about the glibc that it uses. Even though the kernel version of Suse being used for this box is supposedly "more recent", the support issue is understood.

I heard about the restriction with the J2SDK and JRE (they have to be at version 1.4 - and not later - or nothing will work). That was adhered to.

Not sure about the difficulty in installing a Unicode system (although it would be more beneficial).

Thanks for all the information.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information and answering these questions.

Currently running with glibc 2.6 without problems/incidents.

Tried SLES 10 but it did not recognize the CD on the machine I had. So, I went to Opensuse 10.3 (which was supposed to be the opensource SLES 10). The 10.3 had more drivers and - at least - I was able to use the CD for the installations.

Right now, so far, I have set up systems quite a number of times and have not had any problems with them running.

Again, thanks for the inputs.