cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Range-Materials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to reset the number ranges for loaded materials into a DEV client?  If so, how to do?  Or, should we just refresh and wipe the already loaded materials?

Thanks,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I wanted to do is reset the numbering within intervals.  So, that if I needed to do a subsequent load I could start at the beginning of the interval.  Generally, if you archive previous materials, then do another load, your internal numbering (within intervals) will start at the next available number (Not the lowest number possible within an interval)

• So, within SPRO, go to logistics general-->material Master-->Basic Data-->Material Types-->Define Number Ranges for Each Material Type.
  • Then, select "change Status."
  • You will notice 3 columns: From Number; To Number; and Current Number.
  • If you want internal numbering to start at the From Number; then all you do is change the "current number" to the former.
  • For instance you have 3 column within an interval:
    • From Number: 1
    • To Number: 100
    • Current Number: 50
  • The above essentially means that numbers 1-49 have been used and can't be used again...
    • But, let's assume that we absolutely want to use 1-49 again.
    • All we must do, after having wiped out those materials via arhciving, is change the current number to the number "1."
  • Please be aware, that this will have consequences across Master Data.
sjeevan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you didn't use the materials in any transactional data such as POs PRs etc you won't have any problem resetting the number range to 1-49 after archiving.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses thus far.  I appreciate all of your input.  I am working on a solution to my "problem."

Once I find it, I will share it with you all.

PK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

• I want to keep all data in the material master except for the Sap assigned numbers
  • Do I want to change number change?  (i'm not sure what this means)
madhu_vadlamani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Then you keep external number range.

Regards,

madhu.

sjeevan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From technical point of view, material number is the primary key (unchangeable) and in most cases unique in all the material master tables(below).

TableDescription
MARAGeneral Material Data
MAKTMaterial Descriptions
MARCPlant Data for Material
MBEWMaterial Valuation
MARDStorage Location Data for Material
MARMUnits of Measure for Material
MVKESales Data for Material
MPOPForecast Parameters
MPGD_MASSPlanning Data
MLANTax Classification for Material
MLGNMaterial Data for Each Warehouse Number
MLGTMaterial Data for Each Storage Type

So, you cannot just keep the data and change material number for already loaded material. In simple terms the answer to your question is NO. As far as wiping the currently loaded materials is also not an easy task. It is normally done by BASIS administrator.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/828320

But, you can change the number range of material for future materials. Just change the group for the material type in MMNR.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

What I am meaning to say is this: 

1. I want to keep all data in the material master..
  2. Except the Number assigned to it by SAP.
  3. Then, I want to reasssign numbers.

P. K.

madhu_vadlamani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

What data you want to keep in material master.What is except numbers assigned  by sap.Do you want to change number change?

Regards,

Madhu.

madhu_vadlamani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi paul,

Reset in the sense are you going to change existing material if this is the requirement it is not possible.You can mark material for deletion.

Regards,

Madhu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are asking about changing of material master number (which is already created) then it is not possible. But you can delete the material & archive and create new material master with new number range.Use MMNR t-code for material master number ranges.

For archiving material master check below links

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1933687

http://scn.sap.com/thread/828320

For creating new number ranges & status

http://www.erpgreat.com/mm003.htm